At the end of 2021, 14.5 million people worked in the restaurant sector. Although this is still 1 million less than the industry’s pre-pandemic level, the number has steadily increased. With this growing number, operators need to think about how they will create and maintain operational efficiency by hiring more employees.
At the end of 2021, 14.5 million people worked in the restaurant sector. Although this is still 1 million less than the industry’s pre-pandemic level, the number has steadily increased. With this growing number, operators need to think about how they will create and maintain operational efficiency by hiring more employees, while simultaneously increasing retention rates. Here are 6 tips to improve the efficiency of your restaurant.
- Improve teamwork: You’ve heard it before. “Teamwork is the origin of a dream job.” This certainly applies to restaurants. The more your team works together, the more efficient they will be and the more revenue your restaurant will generate. To foster teamwork, you can create team goals, increase employee communication, create recognition programs, or even host annual employee celebrations.
- Make tasks easy to understand and complete: Let’s be honest, if you’re asked to do something that isn’t clear, you either won’t do it or you’ll do it the wrong way. If expectations aren’t clear, who could blame you? If you make your team’s tasks easy to understand and give them the tools to complete them with precision, you’ll ultimately save time and money by eliminating the need for corrective action or forcing another employee to pass. time to do the task everywhere.
- Maintain motivation: Arguably the most important thing you can do to increase your restaurant’s efficiency is to keep your team motivated. When motivation is low, production is low. You can keep your team engaged and motivated by hosting employee contests, providing ongoing training, or rewarding the best.
- Reduce human error: Reducing human error can help eliminate potential operational obstacles. A good example of this comes from an interview I did with Matt Hughes, Vice President of Culinary Practices and Operations at Tao Hospitality Group. Matt told me that Tao used to handwrite the labels that would be placed on sauce bottles in the kitchen. Since not everyone’s handwriting is the best (and handwritten labels can be easily destroyed), employees would sometimes struggle to read the labels, which would lead them to spend more time decipher them or find someone who could read them correctly. Tao purchased Jolt’s labeling system to completely eliminate this roadblock.
- Increase communication: Communication is essential in any work environment. You and your employees need to be informed. If you implement a policy change but don’t let your staff know about it, a lot of confusion and wasted time will ensue. To increase communication, you can consider using a digital communication technology solution that will allow management to send real-time updates to employees.
- Automate processes: Finally, automating manual processes will help your team accomplish more in less time. Imagine using technology to reduce your manager’s visits from 45 minutes to 5 minutes. What could your manager do for those extra 40 minutes? I think it would allow him to spend more time focusing on your clients or coaching employees and helping them grow in their roles.
Now for the obligatory sales pitch: Jolt can help you implement these 6 tips, with one solution. Our operations management platform can help you quickly tick the box and immediately see increased efficiency. Do not hesitate to contact us for more information !
Follow the news of the catering sector
Subscribe now to Daily restaurant operatorwhich brings you the best stories from Fast Casual, Pizza Marketplace and QSR Web.
Fast and relaxed executive summit
October 9-11, 2022 | Indianapolis