Happy Saturday neighbours! Here’s everything you need to know about what’s happening today.
First, today’s weather forecast:
A shower in the morning. High: 82 Low: 59.
🏡 Are you a local real estate agent? Let us help you generate leads, grow your brand in Houston, and set you apart from the competition. Click here to find out more.
Here are the top five stories in Houston today:
1. Houston Black Restaurant Week is running now until Sunday April 10. The week is “designed for help revitalize and bring attention to black-owned restaurants in the city.” In 2021, Black Restaurant Week said so helped 1,200 black-owned restaurants across the country increase revenue by around 15%. (KHU 11)
2. I-10 Katy Freeway at closed all eastbound lanes this weekend undergo repairs. Crews began work on the Houston Avenue Bridge off of North Shepherd and Durham Drive at 8 p.m. Friday and will run until Monday 5 a.m. (ABC 13)
3. On Saturday, March 26hundreds of prospective students and their families have participated in UHDlearn why the university is continuously recognized for its diversity, high impact and affordabilityand to thexplore the paths to become UHD Gators. Prospective students and their parents received an overview of the university five colleges and 45 undergraduate programs. (University of Houston – Downtown)
4. Houston native Brittney Griner’s legal team was quietly seeking release and has refused to speak about the case since his arrest was made public. Players have had discussions about how best to help Griner within their community. WNBA players have been very consistent in the past when they rallied around issues. (Click2Houston)
5. Houston drivers hope to feel relief at the pumps like we. President Joe Biden is working to release oil reserves for fight against high gasoline prices. Local resident Greg Hadley says he’pays 30% more gas than two months ago. (ABC 13)
Today in Houston:
- RAIN or SHINE Garage and Bake Sale at the Houston Heights Woman’s Club. (8:00 a.m.)
- hatha-yoga at Discovery Green. (09H00)
- HBCU College Day and Career Fair at Texas Southern University. (10:00 AM)
- Grand Opening at CenterWell Senior Primary Care Emancipation. (10:00 AM)
- Kountry Wayne in concert at the Houston Department of Parks and Recreation. (7:30 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Good Iver East come to houston on tuesday and also makes other stops along Texas. (Houston crest)
- Burger Bodega will open as a restaurant this summer in the former Cabo space at 4520 Washington Ave (CultureMap Houston)
- A man is in custody after a Surfside Police Department officer was stabbed in Southeast Houston Wednesday night. (Fox 26 Houston)
- A suspect opened fire on humble police officers during Friday afternoon traffic stop at FM 1960 and Deerbrook Parksaid Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez. (ABC 13)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- ACCH Maker Market – Funky and fun one-of-a-kind creations by local Houston artists/makers (April 2)
- Breast ultrasound screening comes directly to you! (April 8)
- Add your event
Do you like the Houston Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You are now in the loop and ready to start this Saturday on the right foot. See you tomorrow for another update!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello, my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.